Neta's Company Blog will also feature these entries.
Get details and attend the Facebook event here!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 12: The BIG Apple

In today's rehearsal I kept getting an excited feeling about how the show fits together for me as a viewer. I've felt that many of our scenes are dreams, dreamt by one of the still figures who are often onstage during the rest of the action. Today as I watched "Searchlight" I really felt like it is the flitting movements of the dark subconscious, and "Crazy" also has that feeling of Id-like unrestrained movement; "Bridge to nowhere" feels like the unconnected emotions we trace and retrace and hold to ourselves; and with a Freudian theme the "Tech ledge" and "10 Commandments (Doomsday)" sections feel more like a Superego involvement; Matt and Colette's duet and "I've Got You Babe" are the parts of this mind that is concerned with relationships.... I could go on for each section, but the idea I'm feeling is that these all integrate into a whole not only because they sprang from the same choreographic mind, but that they can, through this specificity, generalize to show us what we all may have in our own minds. The joy, pensiveness, tension, freedom, etc. of the buckets are all things we have in ourselves- as we watch, we can feel along.


After our rehearsal I headed over to Manhattan to see about getting into the lottery for cheap Wicked tickets. That's a show I've wanted to see since I read and loved the book a few years ago! It didn't work out, but I found myself in Times Square as I got out out of the trains to find the box office, so I did some exploring. I checked out a couple floors of the four-floor Forever 21 in the square, and spotted several of the Broadway theaters where I might see another show if I manage to get other discount tickets through some other routes I've learned about from fellow artsy/poor students. I almost went to a comedy show in the area for a good price, but it was late in the evening and I decided I'm not comfortable hanging around the busy parts of the city as the day ends still- this is a BIG apple. I hitched a train home and will look forward to something a little simpler tomorrow evening if I don't find Broadway tickets by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment