Neta's Company Blog will also feature these entries.
Get details and attend the Facebook event here!

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 21: Final bows

Today was the last of our shows, and my last in New York. We had a great first run with the kids- they performed "Sculpture garden" beautifully, and it was so cute to see their friends from Our Children playing along by putting coins in their hands! I think this really shows kids the value in their own creativity and the possibilities if they pursue their ideas! One girl said she was embarrassed to dance in front of people- but I think her confidence picked up with the cast's encouragement, and she did great! I hope that this helps the kids to open up their view of the possibilities in their future- one girl and I talked about what college is like. When I described it as like Our Children, where we choose what we're interested in studying and get to become very good at it, she seemed to be interested in the idea that at first she was hesitant about. There was a lot more to this than the fun of the show- but that was sure there today too!

Between runs, I walked the High Line, which is a beautiful public garden that was created from an old train platform that was to be demolished. Now it's got beautiful flowers with a nice view of the city and the water between New York and New Jersey. The benches and paths draw visual elements from the original purpose of the place, with train tracks peeking between some flower plantings, and also a neat area of water that runs along the ground like a shallow fountain for waling in, and it falls through a grate that mimics those alongside subway trains at their platforms.

While warming up for the second run, I really felt the energy of the space. Though my knee complained for the first time this month, I felt good in my body, and ready for the show. I think it was a good run! All my previous problems were resolved, and though it wasn't perfect, I feel good about my final New York performance, and will be excited to show the video from tonight to my family.


It has been so special to be here this month, dancing with and learning from the pros, and passing on the joy that Neta has cultivated and shared with audience and dancers alike. I might add more on this later- but unfortunately, my time is short before I leave town, and I need to shower after a two-show day, finish packing, maybe nap, and hitch my last NYC public transportation up to La Guardia for an early flight home. Thanks for following my journey if you've been reading along- I hope you've felt a bit of the bucket joy and NYC excitement with me!

...As Neta would say, "Get your buckets out, and have a ball!"

No comments:

Post a Comment