Neta's Company Blog will also feature these entries.
Get details and attend the Facebook event here!

Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 20: Living/loving NY

We got a great review yesterday! I thought the article linked was especially fun to read!

From [the conclusion of the sculpture garden], a roller-coaster ride of movement and music commences. Neta Pulvermacher deploys her squad of dancers and their fifty-seven buckets in a richly imaginative series of danced and mimed tableaux, set to a musical smorgasbord that runs the gamut from Mozart to Sonny & Cher.

A special treat from today... I got a photo of a man skillfully playing bucket-drums in the subway! I felt like it was a good sign!

This morning I hitched a train over to Manhattan to backtrack to the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn bridge. I wandered a bit and finally found Grimaldi's pizza under the bridge- and I realized I couldn't handle a whole pie by myself, much less the hour-plus wait... so I walked the bridge to find sliced pizza on the other side. The bridge wasn't too long of a walk, and though it was very warm today (77F) the view was worth it as I strolled along dodging tourists with cameras and the bikers they annoyed.

I found my lunch, and looked around the area til I came to City Hall, which had a great park right next to it right by the end of the bridge. I enjoyed the sculptures there for a while, which draw from architectural ideas found in New York buildings, then sat and read my book on creativity for a while. After chatting with a fellow bench-sitter, I decided to head south to see what I could find. I got a tip that Trinity church is worth visiting, and on my way through the area after passing Wall Street and the bull sculpture, I ducked in to have a look. It was beautiful, not unlike what I saw in Germany! I love how the beautiful detailed artistry of the decorations remind me of the passion and faith of those Christian artists- and somehow today it also made me feel like God loves artists. I like to think of artists as following the original Artist in our creative habits. I tried to make my way to the World Trade Center memorial construction site, which I'd glimpsed at a distance earlier- but I walked too far and accidentally circled it, running out of time to make it back to the theater. So I found my train and made it back just in time. I feel satisfied with this as my last touristy day- although I walked a lot and got lost a little, I genuinely enjoyed some very nice places! Tomorrow it's all about the show- matinee with the kids, then the final one!

Tonight's show was really good for me- with all the walking I was a little parched but I figured out that's also why I was lightheaded yesterday, so I avoided some of the trouble today by hydrating better. This audience felt very involved, and the kids loved it- I could see their eagerness to make the sculptures move, and there was lots of laughter during the show! It was neat to think of the value that the show holds for adults and children- very different perspectives, but both can enjoy the same piece. After the show, I saw two little girls playing in the lobby: one was standing very still for the other with her hands out- they were playing sculpture garden! The sculpture girl kept looking at me like she knew I was a performer, so I found a penny in my purse and put it in her outstretched hands. She didn't dance, but she got so excited and showed her mom "look what I got for being still!" Too cute- it's great to see how the show inspired the kids! And tomorrow we get to make some dreams come true for Our Children, "the Harlem Bucketeers" as we're calling them on the program. Looking forward to the last show day!

No comments:

Post a Comment