Neta's Company Blog will also feature these entries.
Get details and attend the Facebook event here!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 17: The longest day of summer

Today we rehearsed from 11am-10pm! And I started the day even earlier with a ballet class from 10-11:30 at Peridance. It was a great way to get ready for the day. I knew I'd be most excited about the long process today if I had a full class in the morning, and it was worth getting up a little earlier. The class was taught by a pleasant French man who gestured foot movements with his hands or indicated them subtly with his feet- instead of speaking plainly, he hummed melodies and moved his arms to show especially how he wanted us to shape the space. With no ballet class in the last six months, I managed to follow along by watching the other dancers and interpreting his marked movements. Even with this different style, he really was a good teacher, especially in the corrections he gave me. I needed to keep myself on track a lot because of slipping technique since last fall's ballet class, but his comments and correction on posture were something I thought about all day.

In rehearsal we went cue-to-cue over lighting, and while I waited for my cues I stood and practiced the posture I'd been shown in ballet. Pelvis back more, ribs lengthening away from the hips and chest lifted to lengthen and lift the whole torso. It was a long rehearsal, with a couple short breaks to eat, but we covered a lot and things are looking good. The New York Times came and photographed our final run of the day- it wasn't perfect, but we'll see what they've got after they review opening night! There's more to do tomorrow before our dress runs before showtime, but I'm confident we'll be ready. Showtime tomorrow, and the benefit!

No comments:

Post a Comment